Golf clubs at Chingford Golf Course
Chingford Golf Course is a public course, but one that draws a number of private clubs. If you’re looking to join a club, here are contact details for those that play with on our course.
History of Royal Epping Forest Golf Club
The Golf Course in Chingford was originally established as nine holes in the 19thC. The Royal Epping Forest Golf Club (REFGC) opened in 1888 located initially at the Forest Hotel. The Club’s first professional, William Dunn Jr, expanded the course to 22-holes, extending from Hawk Wood to Warren Wood and across Rangers Road.
The Royal Epping Forest Golf Club is the oldest golf club in Essex and the only one in Essex with the Royal title. It is also one of the few Royal clubs that play over a public golf course; with others including Royal and Ancient at St. Andrews, and Royal Montrose.
Find out more about Royal Epping Forest Golf Club.
History of Chingford Golf Club
Chingford Golf Club was formed in 1923 by a group of local tradesmen who could only join the existing private club as “artisans”. The founding members were: C. Chasney, A.V Marshall, W.J. Oliver, C.S Perrin, W.F Richardson and J. Warren.
The first meeting place for CGC members was the Coronet Café. This was on the first floor on 1 Forest Avenue, opposite the course. A photograph of the Coronet Café as it then was can be found on the wall of the club room now. The building still exists and is clearly recognisable from the old photo. After the Coronet Café the club moved to a room in The Royal Forest Hotel. At this stage Chingford joined up with The Walthamstow Golf Club who became CGC members. A survival of this period is the Brock Cup. This was presented to the Walthamstow club in 1914 and continues to be one of the trophies competed for every year by CGC members.
Find out more about Chingford Golf Club.